Dear Arthur Manowski,

I had the 'TILT-problem with my F801 several times (like many others, who have
complained about it on the Nikon-List over the years). My 801 has been repaired
twice! for an approximate total of 300US$ by Nikon (the Netherlands). Twice
they replaced a 'test-mode print', stating that this should be considered as
'maintenance', just like you expect with a car! Apparently the problem is
related to the camera design, but I never heard a Nikon rep. admit this.
Usually they start with asking whether you've used new batteries and continue
replacing parts in the camera!

I know of no solution to the problem but fresh batteries and patience. I hated
it that much that I bought the F4, sincerely hoping it displays less of this
erratic, unexpected behaviour (my next question to the Nikon-List is about the
use of NiCads in the F4, if I cannot find anything in the archives: my
alkalines 'froze up' in a few hours, last weekend, when I was enjoying the
first frost of the year).

I encourage you to get an official statement from your nearest Nikon-rep. You
are not alone with this problem.

Good luck,