Dear Matthew and Nikon fellows,

Matt wrote:

FWIW, an infamous French publication rated the B+W filter 5 stars for
optical quality and build quality/handling and had neutral color balance
while Nikon only received 4 stars each and had slightly magenta color
balance.  (P.S. Thanks, Jose Perico!)  So go ahead and buy the B+W filter.
<snip>
Good luck in your filter quest.  I asked the same question and came up with
the answer.  I have a Nikon lens, not Sigma, Tamron, etc.  So I put a Nikon
filter on it.  It was a no brainer.  Which is why I will end my long post
regarding Nikon filters here.
<<<<<<<

I suppose you are referring to Chasseur dīImages. As far as I know this
magazine has a *very good* reputation, and speaking for myself I love this
magazine. Their tests seems to be much more reliable than the ones
depicted at Popular Photography, for instance. In their March/98 issue CdI
explained how the tests are conducted and showed pictures of their labs.
Their approach and procedures inspire confidence.

I donīt have the issue with the tests of Circular Pol filters, but I have
the one with the UV tests. The results are:

B+W UV: Mounting *** / Antireflex treatment **** / Color balance *****
(neutral).
Nikon LC37C: Mounting **** / Antireflex treatment ***** / Color balance
***** (a bit yellow).

B+W Skylight: Mounting *** / Antireflex treatment **** / Color balance *****
(salmon).
Nikon NC: Mounting **** / Antireflex treatment ***** / Color balance *****
(neutral).

In both, Nikon filters performed better...

Itīs hard to believe that B+W had 5 stars in all items and that Nikon had 4
in all items as it performed better and was acclaimed for its mounting
quality and antireflex treatment in this quite similar test. BTW, among 35
UV and Skylight filters
being tested only one filter had 5 stars in all items (it was a Minolta L37
UV AC).

For those who occasionally read CdI it is important to clarify that when an
item is awarded with an "Oscar 5 stars" (globally) it doesnīt mean that it
is better than one product with an "Oscar 4 stars", as in these rankings
cost/benefit plays an important role. It has been stressed more than once by
the
editors that all products ranked 4 stars are of "professional level". So
an item that got 5 stars in optical/mechanical performance can be "beaten"
by
another a *bit* inferior in these regards, but with a great retail price.

Sorry for the long and a bit off-topic post, but I really like this magazine
and I know many on this list rely on their (serious) tests to choose between
one product and another.

Happy shooting,

Isaac Boy
Belo Horizonte, Brazil