Ilkka writes:

>If I drive the internal focusing elements of the TC-16A to one end (the

>front end?), will the AF 300/2.8 focus closer than it would without the

>TC-16A?  You would imagine that the TC-16A forms a (very short)
>extension tube.

Fascinating possibility!  The TC does add extension. The 300 mm f 2.8 is
compatible with the TC 16A according to Nikon so you are ok in that
regard. It will focus to 8.5 feet. You will have the effect of closer
focusing in any case because the TC 16A will magnify the center of the
lens image by 1.6 times.

I wish I had a 300 mm f 2.8 to experiment with but my pockets aren't
deep enough to add this piece of gear. Try it and let us know what
happens.

Best,

John Wall

--
John N. Wall
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are not revitalized or transformed as often by a change of
circumstances
as we are by a change of perspective.