On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:47:55 +1300
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (nikon-digest) wrote:

>This guy is a real peach! First he insults Americans. Then he justifies
his
>existence with excuses for his past. And then he insults all of us by
>telling us we don't know where Slovenia is. And furthermore, he goes on
>tell us how we should practise free speech, in writing only what he
wishes
>to hear.!

I really don't understand your problem with his message.  Is he insulting
anyone's intelligence by suggesting most people don't know where Slovenia
is? I don't know where it is - do you?  But I do remember an American who
wrote to the digest a couple of months ago saying "Here in the United
States America we have something called freedom of expression." Now that
is insulting! Funny, I don't remember you writing to complain about that,
though.

Just because he is in favour of free speech doesn't mean he is in favour
of ignorant, or lazy, speech.  He isn't cmplaining about points of view he
disagrees with, he is complaining about stupid questions and wastes of
bandwidth.  If that means that he is anti Free-speech, then I guess I am
too!

>    His first letter was in better English and therefore given that he
says
>he's a journalist with an ascerbic wit; I say his second letter is a
>misleading falsehood. Anyone can turn off their spellchecker. Next he
reads
>us some Communist propaganda so as to put us in line as to what he wishes
>hear.

Huh? Did I miss something? Because he has grown distrustful and critical
of governments as a result of his upbringing under communist rule you
think he is pawning propaganda off on us?  Non sequitur.  But since you
believe in freedom of expression I guess this propaganda doesn't bother
you, anyway.  Nor do I see how his satirizing what happens on the digest
is insulting to our intelligence. Or are we too insecure to have our ways
challenged?

>Next he gives us a hard time about our intelligence.

I really fail to see how his satirizing what happens on the digest is
insulting to our intelligence.

>This is all
>hogwash!! The guy knows what he says and should be accountable for his
>actions; he just isn't.

And what of the person who was making some unsavory insinuations regarding
Nazis? Should he be any less accountable? Or are his actions a justified
response?  Yes, if someone says something you don't like, call him a Nazi.
Then kick him off the list.

I really wonder - maybe he isn't insulting our intelligence if so many
assumed he was german, even though his address lacked the .de suffix.

>Lastly, his first letter was offensive, blasphemous
>and plain rude!

>I vote that firewall be created in Major-domo to keep him out of our
hair!
>Anyone else agree??

Now there's freedom of speech for you.