Frankly I break my flash feet so often that the guys at my local repair shop
practically start writing me up for another hot shoe repair when they see me
walk in.  And I am so glad that they do break.  They break because they get
bashed by flying balls, arms, hands and whatnot.  If the hot shoes were metal
they would easily rip the mounts right off my camera bodies and cost me a
fortune to put new top plates and circuits on my N90s's.  I get a flash
reshoed about every other month for about $35 USD, and to get a new top plate
and wiring is about $150-200 USD. Take your pick. I'll take the easily snapped
flash shoe.

Jonathan Castner
Photojournalist
Denver