> If I drive the internal focusing elements
        > of the TC-16A to one end (the front end?),
        > will the AF 300/2.8 focus closer than it
        > would without the TC-16A?

        Yes, but the amount of focus shift available with the
        TC-16A isn't significant with a long lens -- even when
        the lens is focused at infinity.  As the lens is focused
        closer, the amount of focus shift is reduced even further.

        The change in minimum focusing distance with a 300mm
        lens on a TC-16A is negligible.  Even with a 55mm macro
        lens on a TC-16A, the maximum magnification is less than
        you get with a PK-13.

        -Don