It's not a bad idea to have a weak point to break rather than damage the
camera, this I can accept. What I have trouble accepting is that you
can't buy a new flash foot or other parts for a SB24 & others because
they are older than 6 or 10 years for which parts must be made
available.
My beef - a $20.00 flash foot that CANT be purchased turns into a $600 -
$700.00 new flash. Where is the economy in that?
If a flash or other item has a designed OR found to be, weak point/s
then there
needs to be a much better arrangement for spare parts & not just by
Nikon but rather the entire industry.
To all the people with equipment over the 6 - 10 years, be warned, parts
are not guaranteed.

 Tony Balm