>> Preventing UV from entering the lens
        >> is  a good way to reduce flare.

        > You mean: A good way of preventing _invisible_
        > flare (by step 2.2).

        Depends on what you mean by 'invisible'.

        > So how, then, does adding an element reduce
        > flare (And I mean visible flare, since I'm not
        > much concerned with invisible flare)?

        Photographic film is quite sensitive to UV light.  If you want
        to improve the contrast in your pictures, removing UV flare
        will be beneficial.

        If you just  look through your camera instead of  taking
        pictures with it then you are correct, a UV filter will have
        no effect.

        -Don