> If I remove the standard eye level
        > finder from my F4 and replace it with
        > the waist level finder then hook up
        > my Nikon SB-27 for automatic balanced
        > fill flash, what type of metering does
        > the flash use?

        Regardless of which meter you use for metering
        ambient light, flash exposure metering is performed
        with a separate sensor in the mirror box (the others
        are masked by the mirror at the time the flash fires).

        It attempts to match the flash exposure to the reading
        taken by whatever ambient meter was active when the
        shutter was pressed.  Since the F4 only has a spot meter
        in the body, the flash exposure will be adjusted to match
        that.

        -Don