Fellow Nikonuts:

I'm happy to say that the F100 has just arrived here in Toronto (at
Vistek, which claims to have received the first shipment) and I picked
one up on Saturday. Didn't intend to, when I went in, but - you know the
feeling - I just couldn't resist. I traded in a '90 and some other gear.

First impressions: I have an F5, and it was a no-brainer to get up to
speed on the '100. The locking button for the focus area is very nice,
as is the feature that briefly lights up the selected focus are in red
when you shoot. Build quality is AWESOME - well up to F5 standards, and
a long way ahead of the '90. The '100 is solid, a joy to hold,
well-balanced and super-convenient. Nothing negative I can say about it.
It even sounds great - and rewind time on a 36-exposure roll is very
short indeed. I haven't timed it, but it's very close to the speed of
the F5 in this department.

I shot a 36 of Portra 400VC using the AF 300/4 and the AF 28/1.4D and
I'm keenly awaiting the results, which I hope to have by tomorrow. If
the colour metering lives up to F5 standards (as advertised), it should
be very good indeed. Frankly, I'm expecting first-rate results. I'll be
shocked if I don't get 'em!

David Basskin
Toronto, Canada