Hi Hondo,

        Thank you for the reply, as I was wondering if I was the only one who
noticed that the list is almost entirely dedicated to hardware. We have
some great photographers who participate on our list; the photos on
their web sites is the proof, but they never talk about how they achieve
those results. They may have a vested interest, not wanting to give away
their "secrets", but the techniques used by the very best will probably
only work for those who are really good to begin with, and work their
tails off to achieve similar results.
        I could use some advice, call it remedial instruction for a guy who
already knows the zone system, but needs...; heck, I don't know what I
need, but it's the "it" that I see captured by others, that is seldom
present in my photos. I may be shooting the wrong subjects, or using the
wrong techniques, but I aced my photo classes and finally got a job
shooting for a newspaper, and did pretty well when it came to shooting
for money. The problem is not lack of decent equipment, or of sound
darkroom technique; maybe my inability to define what I'm looking for,
is the reason why it is not discussed on the list. Why can some catch
magic in a bottle, while some of us can only recognize and admire the
ability, and make new examples of the same boring photographs we made 20
years ago. Someone once commented that the current crop of chess players
were just competent frauds, copying the style of Fischer, Spassky, or
Kasparov, but never creating anything new; never getting "under" the
game, creating anything new.
        There may be a photo version of Bobby Fischer will chime in and maybe
we can be better frauds. Does Gary Kasparov shoot a Nikon?
        Adios amigo,

                        Bill Hilburn Jr.