Dear Gen,

I donīt know how many Nikon AF-D lenses you have had in your hands, but
playing around with these lenses makes me sure not to buy any Nikon AF-D
lens but the professional grade tools like the AF-Dīs 1,4/28, 1.4/85, 2/105
DC etc. and the zooms 2.8/20-35, 2.8/28-70 AF-S and so on - if I only could
afford it. All the other "consumer grade" AF-D lenses feel less rugged than
the good old MF lenses. A few months ago I started a thread about the bad
build quality of the 1.4/50 AF-D Iīve owned those days. I traded it in.

Unfortunately Cameras like my F90x doesnīt make available all features if
you use a MF lens. But in general I only need these functions like AF, 3D
Matrix metering combined with program modes etc. when I have to be fast,
e.g. when photographing sport events, jazz concerts, wildlife and so on.
Very often you find bad light conditions when photographing the mentioned
events so you need fast lenses and film moreover.

I thought about this and my conclusion is: If you use MF cameras like F2,
FM2, F3 besides modern cameras like F90x, F5, you should purchase a line of
fast MF Nikkors like you own and combine these lenses with two AF-D zooms
(2.8/28-70 and 2.8/80-200) and  -maybe- a long Telephoto lens like an AF-D
4/300 or 4/500, if you can afford it.

MF lenses are build for generations and your grandchilds will still use them
I suppose. I fear that most AF-D lenses are not as durable as the MF ones.

I canīt supply evidence for what I have said, itīs just a personal feeling
based on my (mostly bad) expieriences with AF-D lenses.

So I recommend to keep your MF lenses as a high quality product which will
accompany you in the future "to the far corners of the globe" and they will
survive it for years -  perhaps in contrast with the AF lenses.

Greetings
Kay
Kay-Christian Heine
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany