Hello,

        When I picked up my first AF camera, I was amazed and concerned because
of the light weight and seeming fragility of the lens; specifically the
feel when the lens was focused manually. My fears were unwarranted as
that lens is going strong, and I have learned from a camera repairman
that the reason Nikkor AF lenses are built of plastic, and seem fragile
is the less mass in the focusing system, the longer the expected life of
the focusing motor. It was a flashback to my first engineering class,
and the explanation of "form follows function". I was holding an early
AF Nikkor today, and was surprised at how old the lens was, and what
kind of life Nikon expected from that lens. So, from here on I will be a
little more tolerant of the "swell it's Mattel" Nikkor lenses.
        But, on a similar note, now that I own the F3, I have found that there
are many fine pre-AI lenses available for a fraction of the cost of AI
lenses. Today I bought a pre-AI 28mm f3.5 for $39.00 USD, and I could
have Pete at Fotocamera Repair Service in Lake Worth, Florida, mill the
lens to AI for $22.00 USD, plus shipping. There is just no way I can
aquire a 28mm lens that will match the Nikkor for quality, for a more
reasonable price.
        But, I found that another valid option exists, which is to have the
camera tech I recently located here in Stockton, Ca., do the work. Henry
Paine of Paine Camera Repair, 147 E. Alpine, Stockton, Ca.
(209)942-2821, will do the work for to convert to AI for $40.00.
Considering that I had the chance to see the quality of his work prior
to giving him my lovely 105mm f2.5, I decided to let him do the work on
this one, and decide later if I want to make the same choice with the
28mm f3.5. I would spend a chunk of the $18.00 USD difference in
shipping to and from Florida, and I am willing to pay a bit more to
support a local camera repair shop. The way I see it, there is
considerable merit to spending your money in your own community, even if
it costs a few more dollars. I would like to think that paying $18.00
USD a few times might pay off later, when I need to have a prompt camera
repair by someone I know; someone with a gentle touch. Being around
machinists for most of my career in engineering, getting to see the
tools and examine the work of a fine machinist has a calming effect,
especially when the surgery is a Nikon lens.
        To the folks who are new to photography, take the opportunity to aquire
one or two of the beautiful pre-AI Nikkor lenses out there, pay to have
them converted to AI, and save a bit of your cash for film and dark room
supplies.
        Adios,

                        Bill Hilburn Jr.