I have been following the thread about tripod ball heads and
quick releases and thought I'd mention what has been a very
satisfying (and rather inexpensive) solution for me.

I don't use a ball head on my tripod.  I currently use a
Bogen 3025 3-D Head; I'll probably change to a 3028 or 3029
if my arthritis gets worse and makes it difficult to
manipulate the small knobs on the 3025.  I use a Bogen 3262
(not the 3262QR quick release version) ball head on my
monopod.

To each of these heads, I have mounted a Bogen 3273 Pro
Quick Release Adapter Assembly with Sliding Plate.  The
sliding plate was designed to mount fore/aft on the camera
to permit adjustment of center of gravity.  By mounting it
laterally, I have a good solid adjustable quick release at a
fraction of the cost of some of the other sliding plate
heads.  I was able to secure the 3273 bottom plate by
inserting a short allen head set screw through the top of
the plate after the plate was mounted.  I also mounted a
bottom plate to the top of my Velbon Macro Slider.  I have
attached sliding plates to the bottom of my F4s and the
bottom of the Macro Slider; I carry a spare sliding plate
for my wife's N60 or for any similar need that might arise.
One bonus of using the 3273 sliding plate laterally on the
F4s is that it provides a slightly larger base, preventing
the camera from tipping over so easily.  The only drawback
is the added bulk to the camera.  On the other hand, when
you're carrying around an F4s, what's another four or five
ounces?

Cost?  Three 3273's @ US$40, a used 3025 @ US$20, a 3262  @
US$35, for a total of US$175 - considerably less than a more
famous, but less flexible system.  Changing to the 3028 or
3029 head will add another US$40-50 to the cost of the
system -
still not a bad price.

If anyone else has tried this system or plans to do so, let
me know how you like it.

Good luck

Bill Cassing