Hi Dan
>  have been shopping for the following prime lenses and I'd appreciate if
> someone would describe the _optical_ differences, if any, between the
> following lenses:
>
> 24/2.8 AIS vs. AF 24/2.8D

According to R.Vinks list they have the same optical design.

> 28/2.8 AIS vs. AF 28/2.8D

The AIS28/2.8 is different from all other 28/2.8. It has CRC and has very good
critics. Check out David Ruether and Roland Vink web sites.

> 35/2 AIS vs. AF 35/2D
>
> Which of these lenses, other than the 24/2.8D, have Close Range
> Correction?
AIS28/2.8 has CRC, AF28/2.8D has, all 24 have CRC, only 35/1,4 has CRC not
the 35 AFs.

Why made Nikon not a AF35/1.4? It must be a great lens. But who needs AF
for Wideangles anyway? :-)

> Also, why are many MF Nikkors more expensive than brand new AF-D Nikkors?
> Like I saw a used 24/2.8 AIS for $380 where the new one goes for $290 at
> B&H.  Collectibles?

Do you like plastic? :-)

> Is the 28/2 manual focus (AIS?) sharper than the 28/2.8? (either the AF-D
> or the AIS?)

Just got my 28/2. When the weather is getting better I shoot some rolls. Then I
can tell you about it, but I have never used the 28/2.8 If you like fast lenses, it
is a good idea, but the 28/2.8 AIS is sold used for very reasonable prices.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Thomas
Thomas Buro ([EMAIL PROTECTED])