Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 17:17:57 +0100
From: Joffrey Wallaart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mamiya lenses on a Nikon? [v04.n236/11]
Message: 11
 Joffrey Wallaart wrote:

>I also own a range of mamiya
>645 lenses, Including the 200mm 1:2.8 APO I need on a Nikon. (I photograph
>lot of bands while performing) I heard there is a converter so people can
use
>their Hasselblad lenses on contaxes, so I wondered if there might be one
for
>Mamiya 645 - Nikon.

Although I can't answer the question about a Mamiya/Nikon adaptor, I have
had some experience of using medium format lenses on a Nikon - in my case
Kiev 88 lenses on a Nikon F4.

The idea seems great at first but there are problems:

1) The adaptor loses any form of coupling to the lens - you have to shoot
using stop down metering.
2) Medium format lenses are BIG - and they dont balance very well on a 35mm
body - even one as heavy as the F4s.
3) I found that in order to have a useable outfit I needed the muscles of a
weightlifter and a gadget bag the size of a small truck.
4) Optical quality was suprisingly good from these cheap lenses.

If you can cope with the above inconveniences then it is a good idea but I
would suggest getting one or two more 35mm lenses as you require them

Regards

Phil