(warning: a bit dry and long)

Hi,

I'd like to use two flashes to created highlights on a person while
shooting protrait indoor.  A manual flash (Metz 45 CT-1) will simulate
sunlight.  It is set on a tripod connecting to the Sync Terminal of the
N90s blasting full from my upper left handside via a six feet cord.  The
second flash (SB 28) will simulate the Fill-Flash.  It is mounted on the
top and flash with Rear Curtain Sync enabled.

How much light will SB 28 be giving out?  Will it ...
a) take NO consideration of the light from the Metz and provide light
   based on the meter reading 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced (3MB) before
   the shutter button is fully depressed,
   (may leading to over exposure.)
b) take the consideration of light from the Metz and provide only
   "enough" light based on 3MB,
   (may leading to ideal exposure)

Does the manual flash connected via cord flash ...
2a) before the mirror goes up,
2b) during the mirror goes up,
2c) after the mirror goes up,
2d) before the the shutter opens,
2e) during the shutter opens,
2f) after the shutter opens, OR
2g) none of the above. ;)

As another question, how to make high lights with the Slow Sync enable to
capture the lights from the good background?

As yet another question, how to make sure there is at least 3 feet of
depth-of-field in flash photography?

At last, is there an easy way to do the same thing without bracketing or
without additional lighting equipments? (It's been 2 weeks and I haven't
had a drop of beer.)

Thanks a bunch.