> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:55:20 CET
> From: "Marcel Drost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Opinions please: Nikkor 24/2.8D [v04.n237/1]
> Message: 1
>
> I'm about to buy the Nikkor 24/2.8D lens for photographing landscapes.
>
> What are your experiences with this lens? Any good? How is the optical
> quality? Sharp? Distortion? All info is appreciated!

        It is a good lens optically, and well worth buying.  It is good
        in the corners, even wide-open, and excellent all-around by
        f5.6.  Linear distortion is minimal.

        Mechanically, it is not that robust (at least not my sample).
        After 3+ years mine has some play in the barrel, along the
        optical axis (ie, the focus ring on one "side" moves slightly
        forward and back, about 1mm).  The manual focus feel is what
        one expects from an AF lens -- not that great.

        Being a prime, it does have DOF markings on the barrel (f22, 16,
        and 11 -- I *think*).

        If you are buying new, I highly recommend paying the price for the
        US warrantied version, because now you can get 5 years coverage from
        Nikon directly.  With the mechanical problem I've had, I wish I
        had a 5 year warranty.

Regards,
Chris
--
Every artist is a cannibal           | Christopher Somers
Every poet is a thief                | Rise Technology