Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 17:17:57 +0100
From: Joffrey Wallaart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mamiya lenses on a Nikon? [v04.n236/11]
Message: 11
 Joffrey Wallaart wrote:

>I also own a range of mamiya
>645 lenses, Including the 200mm 1:2.8 APO I need on a Nikon. (I photograph
>lot of bands while performing) I heard there is a converter so people can
use
>their Hasselblad lenses on contaxes, so I wondered if there might be one
for
>Mamiya 645 - Nikon.

Although I can't answer the question about a Mamiya/Nikon adaptor, I have
had some experience of using medium format lenses on a Nikon - in my case
Kiev 88 lenses on a Nikon F4.

The idea seems great at first but there are problems:

1) The adaptor loses any form of coupling to the lens - you have to shoot
using stop down metering.
2) Medium format lenses are BIG - and they dont balance very well on a 35mm
body - even one as heavy as the F4s.
3) I found that in order to have a useable outfit I needed the muscles of a
weightlifter and a gadget bag the size of a small truck.
4) Optical quality was suprisingly good from these cheap lenses.

If you can cope with the above inconveniences then it is a good idea but I
would suggest getting one or two more 35mm lenses as you require them

Regards

Phil

Joffrey,
Read your letter on Nikon-digest. What you really need for that band
photography is to sell the Mamiya lense and get the new 80~200 AF-S
Nikkor...It's nothing short of amazing....Makes giong into hock seem like a
good thing !!!
Richard,

At 07:14 PM 2/9/99 +0100, you wrote:
> thanks for the tip Richard, but i don't think I'll sell my Mamiya lenses,
>especially not the 200mm APO. (or any medium format gear, for that matter.)
>I think i'll get a metering prism for the Mamiya so I can use MF for the
>bands. (now all there's left for me is to get 1600 speed 220 rollfilm,
>argh...)
>(the metering prism at $400 (or something, rough estimate)would still be a
>hell of a lot cheaper than the 80-200 HSM, and the optical quality of the
>200 APO (which is better than any zoom lens)+ film size would make sure i
>get optimum results.  Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, but no, thanks.

Joffrey,
I am always willing to provide technical assistance to fellow
photographers, so I thought I would try to help.  I hope you take this in
the spirit it is intended. You can't compare MF apples with 35mmSLR
oranges, and believe it or not there IS a right and wrong tool for every
job.I too like MF for some things but there are an overwhelming number of
situations and subjects in which MF fails miserably, and 35mm is the ONLY
choice. If you are not taking advantage of the marvelous technology that we
have access to today you are missing so much.  Photographic life without a
35mm auto focus SLR and some fast zoom lenses would be much like a bird in
a cage...kind of pointless.
Richard Scherrer

--
Richard D. Scherrer