> I am shooting with the Nikon 70-180 Micro
        > AF Zoom (which I dearly love). With the 6T
        > close up dioper attached I can get a life
        > size image with no noticeable loss of sharpness.
        > The problem is that I would like to get a
        > greater than life size image, say 2X or maybe
        > even 3X. Which would be the best way to accomplish
        > this with this zoom?

        The simplest way to double the magnification ratio
        is to use a 2x teleconverter.  Unfortunately, it'll
        also turn your f5.6 lens into an f11 :-(

        > Would extension tubes do the job (I am not sure if
        > extension tubes will have the same effect on this
        > lens as a normal zoom),

        It takes a lot of extension to get 2:1 out of a
        telephoto lens.  You could do it, but at 2:1 it
        would effect your effective aperture the same as the
        teleconverter, your camera-to-subject distance would
        be less, and you wouldn't be able to focus to infinity.

        > or perhaps as John Shaw pointed out in his book
        > "Close Ups In Nature", I could reverse mount
        > another lens to the front of the Micro Zoom.

        I've tried that.  It's hard to find a lens combination
        that doesn't vignette.

        > Would a wide angle lens, say 35mm, be a more
        > appropriate lens to use in this case, or maybe
        > even a 20mm?

        If you've got a 35mm, I'd suggest that you get a
        reversing ring and some extension tubes and use those
        for magnification ratios greater than 1:1, and use
        the zoom for ratios up to 1:1.

        > Maybe I should just do as some have suggested and
        > purchase a Tokina 400mm and some extension tubes.

        That wouldn't even get you close to 1:1.

        -Don