>>>Consider that you might have had a particularly good bargain then.
The
US dollar was particularly strong relative to the yen then.  I
remember
passing through Narita Tokyo Airport in July 1985 and the exchange
rate
was 235 yen/1 USD.  The exchange rate is now around 112 yen/1 USD.
Someone at work told me he bought his FE2 brand new for $235 US in
the
early 1980's.

In early 1985 I paid $250 for a black FE2 w/US warranty from NY.  In
early 1977 I paid $270 for a Nikon F2 Photomic with US warranty from
New York.  In those agent days, you paid a $15-30 premium for a black
body over a chrome body.  A well worn black body, with lots of
brassing, was a badge of honor.