Patricio murphy wrote:

>...Anyone with the right skills can. Even a 12 year old kid with a K1000, of
course.
>The bottom line, I may someday change my Nikon for a pro model, but at the
>moment, I love this one, and will defend it ti death against those snobs
>who suppose that if you're not a pro you don't count.
>Keep shooting!

Hoorah for Pat!
I earn a half a living using an F70 and a maybe fourth hand F3 for PJ work. (In
the studio I use MF, but that's a completely different story.(and the other
half)) I bought the F3 5 years ago when I wanted to have a "real" slr for my
study (used a K1000 before). When I turned pro I bought a back-up body (F70).
The only reason i didnt go for the F50 back then was because it couldn't use
it's fancy metering with the prime I had on my F3. And there was the little
fact that I didn't have the money to buy the then brand new F5. Now I have the
money, but my F70 serves perfectly. I never heard anyone say; "You should have
used a pro body, your photo's would have been better"
And if he said something like that, he would look like a fool. A body is
nothing more than a dark box with a shutter and a light meter. Maybe the
lightmeter of the F5 has 1000 and then some pixels and the F70 has 6 zones, but
exposure is spot-on. (I also have a minolta flashmeter V (which costs as much
as an F70, more even) and when I set it on incident, the F70 comes up with the
same readings. DOF is something I don't need in 35 mm, but I can imagine some
amateurs need it, (again, I use MF for every job I might need exact DOF)but
most professionals should be able to make an estimate DOF. The only thing I
really am annoyed about is the fact that there are no grips for "amateur"
bodies, but that is a Nikon thing, since all other manufacturers do produce
grips for their amateur bodies. And the sturdyness thing, the F70's exterior is
made of out of plastic.

Bottom line: 80% of the people owning an F5 (or EOS 1-n)don't need it IMHO. Buy
an F70/F60 and be happy. What to do with the money you saved? Buy a lens. (pro
optics have more things going for them than pro bodies) Buy some film (that can
also come in handy) Or better yet...

Have some fun with it (like maybe a trip around the world... (don't forget your
camera, you could create the shot of your life while cruisin' around the world
- and have fun.)

And if you really really want to have a pro body the price of an F5, buy a
Hasselblad 501c/m. (that's the cheap one...) Using it you will learn a lot
about Photography and THAT's worth the money. (and it looks even more
impressive then a Nikon F5)

Hope I didn't bore you too much, nor was it my intent to insult anyone.

Joffrey