> > Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:15:20 PST
> > From: "Steve Higgins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: AE-LOCK on 8008  [v04.n242/9]
> > Message: 9
> >
> > >Okay you guys: I KNOW you want to help me with the question
> > >I posted a few days ago. Two very kind fellows responded to the
> > >question via private email but unfortunately their answers were
> > >contradictory. Can any of you help me? I hate to send this
> > >camera off for repair if there's nothing wrong.  To reilterate
> > >the question: When I push and hold the AE-Lock and move the
> > >camera to recompose, the f stop changes in the LED window. One
> > >opinion was that the lock was holding the initial apeture and
> > >changing in the LED just to show the difference from the
> > >'automatic f/stop'. The other gentelmen, who had a 8008S (mine's
> > >an 8008) said when he recomposed, the f/stop which existed when
> > >he engaged the AE-Lock held when he recomposed.

Pat,

I have had my 8008 since I bought it new back in the late 80's.
Here's how mine works:

Either Program mode: Slide the AE-lock over and hold it,  then
lightly depress the shutter button (not heavy enough to fire the
shutter).  If you didn't depress the shutter button slightly, the
exposure will not be 'locked'.

A, S, and M modes:Simply sliding  the AE-L over and holding it there
will freezes the meter, aperature and shutter readings.

That's how mine works,

Hope this helps,
Mike Davis