Several people have written to me about the barrel and pincushion distortion on the
new 80-200 AFS.

I have used the lens for a week now and have experienced a somewhat noticeable
pincushion effect at 200 mm and with focus distances approximately 20-30 feet away.

However, I must be honest in saying that I do not know much about the visual clues to
determining amounts of distortion.  That is, I know what I see through the lens, but
my vocabulary and complete understanding (in terms of visual effect) of barrel and
pincushion distortion is somewhat limited.

Is there a sight that I might be able to check out that fully explains these
principals?  Are there sights that show images demonstrating these effects?

I look forward to learning more about this.

-Michael

Palmieri Photography

Michael L. Palmieri