> I am not yet a NIKON user but have decided
        > to buy myself a FM2 or FE2 as a start into
        > NIKON MF system (and maybe a F3 which I really
        > like later). . . .
        >
        > I would like to have a good 50mm and something
        > in the 85/105mm range (fixed focus). What lenses
        > can be recommended and which should be avoided?

        I'd recommend the 50mm/f1.8 and 105mm/f2.5.

        You might want to try the 105mm/f2.8 macro instead
        of the 105mm/f2.5.  The 2.5 has a bit better definition
        and costs about half as much, but the macro lens is
        still a very good lens, and macro's fun.

        The 85mm/f1.8 is a great lens as well.  If you were
        getting a 35mm instead of a 50mm, I'd go with that
        instead of the 105.  It's perspective isn't different
        enough from the 50mm that I'd want it as my only
        other lens, though.

        > For the bodies mentioned above I need AI lenses,
        > right ?

        Right.  The older ones will attach to the F3, but
        don't couple with the meter.  They won't work at all
        on the FM2/FE2.

        -Don