Hi Warren.

There are several ways of using the AF-On button on the F5 and F100.
Here is one which have always used.

With the camera mode set to manual exposure and AF set at continuous
servo release priority, I am able to shift AF activation from the
shutter release button to the AF-On button when changing the aperture
through the sub-command dial. And when I am changing the shutter speed
through the main command dial, I can shift AF activation back to the
shutter release button.  This way, I can continuously track a moving
object and never lose AF.

Another use, which I'm curently trying out with the new AF-S 80-200
f/2.8D is isolating the AF activation to the AF-On buttons only.  The
reason for this is the feature of the AF-S lenses which allows you to
shift from AF to manual focus by just twisting the focus ring. Lifting
off your finger from the shutter release button after manual override
and depressing it again halfway re-activates AF.

By isolating AF to the AF-onbuttons only, I can now manually override
AF and even if I lift my finger off from the shutter release button,
AF is not activated.  Furthermore, by not pressing the AF-On button,
AF is then in effect locked and can be only controlled manually.  The
sequence of operation then would be as follows:
1. activate AF by pressing AF-On button. Activate meter by pressing
shutter button halfway.
2. fine tune focusing via manual override.
3. adjust aperture and/or shutter speed(lifting off finger from either
AF-On button or shutter release button)
4. re-depress shutter release button to take picture.

I hope this makes sense.  Other people may find other ways of using
this function.  IMHO the ones I listed above are two good ones.

Happy shooting.

Carlo