Hello,  if you can't stand to read basic questions, please ignore this post!
I am just getting started.

I recently (last week) got a new Nikon set up -- an N70, 24/120 lens, and a
70/300 lens.  I also have a 50mm f1.8. This is my first "current generation"
camera after having used an old Pentax for the last ten years. I bought all
the equipment mail order (from Beach Camera, and actually I had no problems
with them -- great prices, all US warranties, and expeditious delivery --
despite all of the warnings to avoid anything but B&H, Adorama, etc). I
wanted to get some protective filters for the lenses, no special effects,
just something to proect the lens; at my local camera shop they had a) a
very expensive Nikon filter ($90) and b) some very cheap non-Nikon filters.
The sales guy suggested that I buy the $90 filter for the 24/120 lens and
the cheap filter for the other lenses.

I might have gone with the cheapo ones (after all we are just talking about
a piece of clear glass) but when I looked through them, they seemed to be
somewhat "spotty," so I ended up not buying anything. But I would like to
get some protection on my expensive lenses before I venture out into the
world...

So the question is: can I use cheap protection on the lenses without quality
degradation, and if so, what type (brand) is best?  Is there some reason to
use a better filter on the 24/120 as the salesman said (his reasoning was
that the aspherical lens needed a better filter). If I "must" get the Nikon
filter, I will, but it seems like a lot of extra money to pay for something
that isn't very complicated.

Also, I have noticed some speculation as to what the new product
introductions from Nikon will be. I can tell you exactly what it is going to
be: since I just bought a new N70 last week, they will undoubtedly announce
a replacement for it!!  I'm jinxed. I'm willing to bet $$ on this one!!

Thanks for your help. I've found this maling list quite useful for the short
time I've been reading it.

Dylan