> From: "Yolles, Dylan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I recently (last week) got a new Nikon set up -- an N70, 24/120 lens, and a
> 70/300 lens.  I also have a 50mm f1.8.

Good choices!

> So the question is: can I use cheap protection on the lenses without quality
> degradation, and if so, what type (brand) is best?  Is there some reason to
> use a better filter on the 24/120 as the salesman said (his reasoning was
> that the aspherical lens needed a better filter). If I "must" get the Nikon
> filter, I will, but it seems like a lot of extra money to pay for something
> that isn't very complicated.

NO! Cheap filters WILL degrade your image quality on any lens.
There are makes of good quality filters other than Nikon, which cost a lot less.
I can't make any recomendations because I don't know about the brands on your
side of the pond. Normally you get what you pay for, but Nikon are overpriced
when compared with other quality brands.

> Also, I have noticed some speculation as to what the new product
> introductions from Nikon will be. I can tell you exactly what it is going to
> be: since I just bought a new N70 last week, they will undoubtedly announce
> a replacement for it!!  I'm jinxed. I'm willing to bet $$ on this one!!

Don't worry! Your N70 will still do what you want it to, and I bet that the replacement
will cost more $$.

David Guest
Hemel Hempstead
England