> I just acquired an SB-28, and am having
        > some problems using it with my F5. . . .
        > Exposures with backlighting seem good,
        > with a reasonable amount of fill flash,
        > . . . . But the sidelighted shots were all
        > too bright.
        >
        > Any ideas on what's wrong? What should I
        > try? Am I using the correct settings on
        > the strobe?

        Were you using aperture priority?  My best
        guess is that with the subject partially lit
        by direct sunlight, f5.6 was a bit too fast
        for the maximum sync speed of 1/250 second.
        The shutter speed in the viewfinder would have
        read 'HI' in that case -- do you think you might
        have missed it?  If you go ahead and shoot in
        that situation, the camera will use 1/250 (the
        flash will fire as well), which would result in
        overexposure as you described.

        What I would try next would be to duplicate
        your experiment with the camera on program
        mode, and record what settings it uses and
        how the pictures differ from the ones you've
        already taken.

        -Don