> The reason that Canon set out to beat Nikon from a "Technological"
> standpoint is that it impresses the bulk of the market, the amateurs
> and they buy more gear, more regularly than the pros do.

I think canon's technology is pretty useful and that they have been
listening to the photographer's needs quite well. see
http://digitaljournalist.org/camera.html for a veteran photojournalist
viewpoint.

nikon has been following canon in a few areas. As a matter of fact,
the user interface of the F5 and F100 is largely inspired from the
Eos line, and the new afs lenses are quite similar to canon's
AF technology.

one area where canon has still a lead is stabilized lenses. the importance
of that innovation seems to have been overlooked. you gain 2 shutter speeds.
this is very significant, when you think whayou pay in terms of price, weight,
and bulk, for a f2.8 lens as opposed to a f4 lens.

maybe in five years we will also have them for nikon, but for
now, although i own 4 nikon bodies, i am going to buy an eos to
take advantage of stabilization technology.

Tuan.

Q.-Tuan Luong, Computer scientist at SRI, +1(650)859-5138
check out large format winter landscapes at
http://www.ai.sri.com/~luong/landscapes/lf/