> I've been informed that there are some Nikon lenses that are made of
> a plastic material (for the optics) rather than glass. Is this true
> and if it is , is the quality equal to glass?

Some lenses, such as the 28-70/3.5-4.5 have a compound aspheric lens.
These have an aspheric plastic surface molded onto a normal spherical
glass lens.
I doubt these lenses would be used  unless they were superior to glass
lenses. Plastic is softer than glass, and as far as I know, they are only
found on internal elements where they are protected from wear.
Roland