Erich, I tried to slip the rubber eyecup on the 8008s as well, and I
experienced the same damage to the viewfinder that you did.  The eyecup
certainly looks like it is supposed to be slipped on, but it does not
fit that way.  I then learned that you must unscrew the DK-7 adapter
from the 8008s, put the eyecup over the adapter, and then rescrew the
adapter into the camera.  This works well.  I don't know why Nikon could
not have included these simple directions along with the eyecup.  Hope
this helps.

Miles