Hi all!

I have just been offered an old Mikro-Nikkor 55/3.5, at what seems like a fair prize -
for Sweden, that is! It looked just fine, but there is one thing that did not make
sense: it was an old chromium-barrel lense, with an metal (non-rubber) focusing-ring,
but it had an reproduction-ratio of 1:1 engraved on the barrel. From what I've heard,
only the most recent Mikro-Nikkor 55/2.8 AIS and the AF Mikro-Nikkor 60/2.8 goes as
high as 1:1. All the data I've gathered points out that all old Mikro-Nikkor 55/3.5
only goes to 1:2 without an extension-ring. This one must have been really old, due to
the lack of a rubber-focusing ring, but not so old that it's an pre-AI: it had the
famous litte notch on the aperture-ring, and it seemed not to have been AI'd
afterwards, as it showed no scratched paint, and no mechanical abuse on the
aperture-ring whatsoever. And it was not so old that the metal-focusing ring had
valleys like the pre-AI and aperture-preset models, but rather a smooth metal!
!
-ring with trapetziod dimples all over.

Anyone knows something about this lense? How does it compare to the legendary M-N
55/3.5 1:2-lense? Or does the engraving perhaps somehow presume that you have an PK-??
extension-ring mounted? The, as always nice, clerk at the store was explicit about the
lens' ability to go down to 1:1 without an extra extension-ring.

Please apologize my lousy english, and thank you all in advance for any information on
this - for me - mysterious lense.

Best regards,
Mathias Martinsson
Linköping University