Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:57:12 -0200
From: "Luiz F. Coimbra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 80~200/2.8 hood [v04.n138/5]

Yesterday I bought myself the 80~200mm f/2.8D ED, with tripod collar,
two-touch interface and a so called built-in lens hood.
I bought also a Nikon UV0 filter for protection and guess what... When I
screwed the filter in and put the focal lenght at 70mm, the hood simply
disappear. The front element is no more than 1 or 2cm inside the front of
the lens. This, in my opinion, isn't enough to protect the lens from
diffused rays of light, so I am thinking that a hood is really needed. I
made some research and found out that the recommended lens hood is the
HB-7.
Is this information correct? Also, do I really need the hood or that thing
called a built-in hood is already enough to avoid flare? Thanks in advance

  Luiz F. Coimbra