OK, I've been doing photography for over 20 years, but I've never used an AF
camera (beyond dry firing one in a camera store a few times).  So I have a
simple question about AF cameras: In general, is it possible to use AF
to focus on something and then turn off the AF feature completely, to
preserve
the focus setting for a series of shots?  I know about the AF lock feature
on
most/all Nikons with AF, but I'm talking about a situation where I
definitely
don't want the camera refocusing, and keeping my finger on a button would
not be reasonable.

For example, I recently took some casual portraits of friends, about 25
frames,
with two focus distances.  On my MF bodies it was easy to focus and then
stand
back and take pictures, maintaining eye contact.  With an AF camera, I would
(ideally) like to use a spot AF sensor, focus on the subject's eye, then
preserve
that setting for a series of shots without having to actively keep a button
depressed.

Does this sound plausible with Nikons, particularly the N90s and the F100?
Or would it just be easier to revert to MF in such cases?

Lou