Hi,

There has been quite some discussion on image stabilisation in the previous
digests, but I am confused.

The first time I read about image stabilisation was a few years ago when it
was introduced in binoculars (by Minolta I think??). Its use was obvious to
me. I think we all have the experience that when you are handholding really
strong binoculars to see something small, the object is flashing in and out
of the viewfinder with the speed of light. I can clearly see the purpose of
image stabilisation here: it keeps the object sitting in the middle of your
viewfinder and that enables you to study it. Great technology!

Now it is introduced in lenses. Again, for long telephotos I can clearly
see the purpose: it enables you to precisely position the object in the
viewfinder, study it, and actually take a picture. In that form, it is a
great aid for accurate composition, spot metering and maybe even autofocus.

Where I loose track of the discussion is where it is stated that it "wins
you two stops" and thus a 4.0 with IS compares to a 2.8.

First, the advantages mentioned above are not present in a 2.8, be it
bright or low light.

Second, as a disadvantage: we are all extremely critical about sharpness
(focus) and vignetting. Manufacturers introduce all kinds of complex
aspherical elements to achieve optimal performance and it is proving to be
a tough job. Yet, with IS we have an element that is constantly changing
shape to counteract our movements:  what does that do to overall image
sharpness?
Not to mention that IS does not provide you with a brighter viewfinder (as
a 2.8 does).

I realise that reducing user induced shake allows for longer shuttertimes
(even two stops), but isn't the remark of "winning two stops" leading to
comparing apples and oranges, or am I missing the point here?

Rick

PS    Sorry or the long and confused post.
(Not even Nikon related come to think of it)