I bought a used but mint 300mm f4 AF/ED at a local camera show here in North
Jersey.  This lens did not have a filter in the 39mm drawer when I bought
it.  This week I went to B&H in NYC to get a 39mm UV filter for this lens.
Just to be sure I got what I needed I took the filter drawer with me.  Upon
comparing it to the new 300mm f4 AF/ED demo unit B&H had on the floor I
noted that the new lens' filter drawer accepted a 39mm screw-in filter.  My
filter drawer is not threaded but has a thin metal "trap door" assembly.
The 39mm screw-in filter does not fit my drawer nor does a 39mm bayonet
mount.

The salesman was not intimately familiar with this setup and asked another
salesman if there was another type of 39mm filter that fit this drawer.  The
other salesman simply shrugged and suggested I get a Kodak 4X4 UV Gel filter
and cut it to size - which I did.  But I find this solution hard to digest
and am wondering what the deal is here.  Can someone enlighten me on this
filter drawer?  Is this a very early pre-screw-in lens drawer.  And is there
a special 39mm filter that adapts to it?

G. E. Treible