> I just bought a Nikon FM, 50mm f 2.0, and
        >  MD-12. I'm now looking for a telephoto or
        >  maybe a zoom,

        My first *real* camera was an FM, with an MD-11
        and a 50mm/f1.4.  I got a Sigma 80-200mm/f3.5
        soon afterwards -- it ended up in two pieces.

        > and have a few questions. I would love a
        > 180mm 2.8 but can't afford one. Im thinking
        > about a fixed 200, or zoom 80 - 200.  How
        > is the AI 200mm f4?  There is a AI and AIS
        > version, are they just different versions
        > of the same lens?

        I've never used the 200mm but, with the
        exception of the old non-AI version, they
        have a good reputation.

        > I'm also thinking about a 80 - 200, and they
        > made two different models that would be suitable
        > for me. There is a f4.5 AI and a f4.0 AIS.
        > Could someone elaborate on the strengths,
        > weaknesses, and differences of these two lenses ?
        > Will either zoom be *almost* as sharp as the fixed
        > 200 ?

        I replaced the dead Sigma with the 80-200mm/f4 AIS.
        It was very sharp, had negligible distortion, and
        the improvement in contrast over the Sigma and the
        50mm/f1.4 was astonishing.  After I developed the
        first roll of film I shot with it, I could tell
        frames shot with it from the frames shot with the
        50mm with the negatives held at arms length.

        Wide open at 200mm, there's a bit of light fall-off
        in the corners and the edges aren't quite as sharp
        as the center (I suspect that the 200mm/f4 would be
        a bit better there).  Stopped down to f8, the 80-200mm
        is just as good as my 180mm/f2.8 AF-N.

        -Don