First, my thanks to Carlo Guerrero and Pete Su for answering my question
about AF Start button on the F100 so copletely. Your response was a great
help. The fog has lifted (partially), but I have another question, one that
has been bugging me from the start. I have figured most of the AF-L/AE-L
button out, but I'm at the point where I need some confirmation or
redirection.

The manual (page 42) says that Focus Lock can be activated by pressing the
AF-L/AE-L switch using ANY exposure method, including Matrix (regardless of
exposure mode; i.e., Single or Continuous Servo.

The functionality of this button becomes a little more restricted when
reading the section on Auto Exposure Lock (page 54). The first paragraph
says that exposure is locked by pressing the AF-L/AE-L button in any
exposure mode other than Manual. So far so good. The manual goes on,
however, to say that "Matrix metering is not recommended since the exposure
cannot be properly locked" (???). (It would be nice if Nikon would have
included an explanation of why this limitation exists and has nagged at me
ever since I read the manual on the N90s.) So all this information seems to
tell me that I have the following:
Focus Lock with the AF-L/AE-L button in all exposure modes and metering
systems. I have BOTH auto Exposure Lock and Focus Lock with the AF-L/AE-L
button as long as I'm NOT in Matrix metering or Manual exposure mode. If
this is not true, please, someone just shoot me. I guess the question never
hit a nerve when the two functions were on separate buttons (Even though
AE-L wasn't all that easy to use. Slider buttons have always been hard for
me.).

There is no question that this camera is a true master piece of
engineering. A real achievement for Nikon. The camera has great "feel",
slightly better than teh N90s. I only wish that I had availed myself of the
opportunity to try on the F5, but my requirements never took me in that
direction. I do see where Nikon could have  done a much better job on the
manual for the F100. It is 35 pages shorter than the manual for the N90s
and its complexity begs for a more full/complete expalantion of key
features such as Dynamic Focus with/without closest subject priority. I
will be working my way through this issue for many weeks ahead. Perhaps
"Moose" Peterson or someone else will penetrate the haze with a good
tutorial based on their experience with this fine camera.

Warren Kneis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]