> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:51:47 -0300
> From: "Luiz F. Coimbra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: re: technology IS [v04.n253/3]
> Message: 3
>
> Hello folks
>
> >Tuan wrote:
>
> <<one area where canon has still a lead is stabilized lenses. the importance
> of that innovation seems to have been overlooked. you gain 2 shutter speeds.
> this is very significant, when you think whayou pay in terms of price,
> weight, and bulk, for a f2.8 lens as opposed to a f4 lens.>>
>
>     IMHO, IS is not such a thing. Just think about it a little. Imagine
> you're taking pictures of birds in flight with your nice (and a bit soft)
> 300mm f/4L IS (maybe with the TC1.4 attached, yeah, this makes me envious).

        Makes me envious too -- this past weekend my fiancee' and I were
        up at Tule and Lower Klamath Nat'l Wildlife Refuges.  I'm slowly
        easing the truck over rough dirt roads in the fields, and she's
        shooting hand-held out the window with the 300/4 IS and 1.4x TC.
        Got most of the slides back already, and she got _sharp_ results
        (it is NOT a "soft" lens) at 1/250s no problem (shooting E200
        and PKL).

        Make no mistake (like Tuan did) -- IS does one thing and one
        thing only -- it allows you to handhold a lens at slower shutter
        speeds.  If you need shallower depth of field, or a certain (high)
        shutter speed to freeze action with a given ISO film, it is no
        substitute for a faster lens.

        BUT, it does have wonderful applications, and it WORKS.

        Canon has a 28-135 zoom lens with IS.  What a *great* travel
        lens!  Think of all those places where you're not allowed to
        use tripods (interiors of cathedrals, etc.) and being able
        to hand-hold at 1/8s (at the 28mm end).  Or being able to
        stop down a couple stops to get more DOF and better sharpness
        (if the light levels said 1/30s at f3.5, you could actually
         get a *sharper* result by shooting at 1/8s and f7 -- more DOF
         and better optical performance).

        I certainly hope Nikon comes out with VR (and not just in
        macro lenses, like someone posted about a patent disclosure).

Regards,
Chris
--
Once I lay without moving for days until,       \ Christopher Somers
mistaking me for driftwood, birds landed nearby  \ Rise Technology