Sam:

In the late 1970s and 80s I worked for a major Texas daily newspaper for 10 years as
a reporter and sometime photographer.  I covered West Texas for several years by
myself, then I started staying home and  covering the FBI, ATF, cops and
firefighters.  The consensus among our 15
or so full-time photogs was the Nikkor 35mm f/2 and the Nikkor 105 f/2.5 were the
best lenses to carry in your bag if you didn't have anything else. (A couple others
were sold on Leica and used rangefinders with usually the 35 and a short tele).  They
next suggested , not in any order,  the 20mm, 28mm, 85mm, 180mm 2.8, and 300mm f.4.5.
depending on where your interests lay.  We had a lens bank at the paper where we
could check out some of the more exotic stuff   like the 6mm fisheye, 300mm 2.8, or
400, 600, and 800mm super teles.

Since I was by myself a lot in West Texas (and bought all my equipment myself), I
carried the 24mm 2.8, 35mm f2; 43-86 3.5 zoom, 105 2.5, and 200mm f4, all Nikkors.  I
talked the paper into buying me a Nikkor 300m 4.5, but it was theirs not mine so I
had to give it back when I left.  Also I carried an FM, FE, F3, and an old F
Photomic( in great shape I got at a post office auction for almost nothing).   Most
of the time I just carried the FM and FE with MD11 motors.

The 35 and 105 choices they said< besides both being great lenses, would give you a
moderate wide angle and short tele that would cover most (but not all) shooting
situtations.

Of course you could be like the friend of mine who ran a small town weekly newspaper
in Central Texas with his brother.  Donald just used a WWII era Exacta 35mm, and a
Rollei TLR with 120 film.  He had been a staff photog for Stars and Stripes and the
wall behind his desk was covered with photo awards he won.  If you saw his darkroom
you wouldn't believe he could find a negative, least of all print it.   But he'd
print up 20x24s and 16x20s that were tack sharp.  His big prints looked better than
my b&w 8x10s.

Tom Anderson
Bedford, Texas

Tom Anderson