> I've a question regarding the 300 f4 EDAF:
        > Can this lens be used without a filter in
        > its drop-in filter tray?  Is it necessary to
        > have a filter in place at all times?

        The manual says always have a filter in the
        holder.

        > If so why?

        I don't know.  Probably has something to do
        with some terribly complicated optical thingie.

        > Is a polariser available for this lens?

        Yes.  Kirk makes one.  It's expensive, though.

        > I'm faily keen on buying this piece of glass
        > so any comments on its qualities would be
        > appreciated.

        Optically it's flawless. Razor sharp all
        the way to the corners wide open, very even
        illumination, excellent contrast, and (most
        importantly) really nice bokeh.

        AF speed is slow, but there's a range limiter
        that helps a bit -- until something you want
        to shoot pops up too close.

        -Don