I have the following answers:
1. There are two filter holders for the 300/f4
    filter drawer, on with a gelöatine filter holder
    one with a 30mm filter holder, which has
    thread for a screw-in filter. Mine came both
    with my used 300/f4.
2. There is a opinion about these filters, that
    you need to have one in all the time because
    it is in the optical system, but I found out over
    some years of using this lens extensively for
    wildlife shots, that this is not necaessary. I just keep
    a front uv filter on to keep dust, fingerprints
     and sometimes assorted wildlife off ;-)
Alex