Hi All,

Sam Doshi wrote: >>> My current idea is to choose a few lenses from the
following list:

> 20mm/2.8
> 24mm/2.8
> 50mm/1.4
> 50mm/1.8
> 85mm/1.8
> 85mm/2
> 105mm/2.5
> 180mm/2.8
> 200mm/4
>
> Which ones should I get.<<

Hi Sam,

        From that list I would carry the 50mm f1.8 for low light, the 85mm f2,
the 105mm f2.5 (my favorite Nikkor lens), and the 180mm f2.8. I would
add a 24-50mm f3.3-f4.5 (instead of a selection of wide primes) as my
travel lens, as I have not seen a better "utility infielder" than this
lens. As an option to the 180mm and 200mm primes, I would suggest a 70mm
to 210mm zoom, preferably a Nikkor, but my Tokina does a pretty good
job.
        I keep the 24-50mm on one body as my "normal" lens, and the other body
wears the 105mm f2.5 most of the time, with a quick switch to the Tokina
when circumstances dictate. I find though, that I use the telephoto
lenses less often that I did in my "salad days", and use the
"short-wide" more often. I don't think that the "secret" to good
photographs is any specific hardware, but I wish I had the 24-50mm
Nikkor when I was shooting for the paper. The flexibility of that lens
for photojournalism is enormous.
        Adios amigo.

                        Bill Hilburn Jr.