"Does anybody have any information on this lens? It sounds like it covers a
very good range of wide angles, and the price is much better than the Tokina
or Nikon 20-35 f/2.8s at around $450. But is it any good?"

While this lens is NOT a professional quality, and it gets lots
of criticism re: distortion, (what wide angle doesn't distort),
for the money, you get a decent wide angle.

Another criticism is that it really doesn't go down to 17.
I've read people report that it is more like 19.

And a third criticism, and the one that I know is true,
is that the huge size (82) is more expensive to buy filters for.

I bought mine used for around 175.
The dealer I bought it from was asking for 225.

I don't use it often, but I just "had" to have a wide
angle and couldn't justify the 1600 for the Nikon.

I compared it at 35 to the Nikon 35-70/2.8 and
the Nikon's pics caught colors more accurately.
I didn't compare the other available wide angles out there,
but if you can, and you don't mind spending more for
what may be a higher quality wide angle, then you really should
check out the lenses at a dealer.

Shoot something,
Mark