A. Mostert wrote:
"It seems that Nikon has simply decided that if you get an F100 and
still want AF on tele-extended lenses then you must also get a TC14E
and AF-S lenses..."

I did that, partly.  After Scott D. Burnside wrote that the F100 manual
warns about possible damage when using TC-16A with F100, I ordered a
TC-14E together with the F100. I will be trading the TC-16A off with my
F90X.

For a certain reason, I didn't order any AF-S lenses, though.
Now I will have a very good AF body, an AF 300/2.8 lens and two AF
teleconverters.  Still, I have to focus manually beyond 300mm  :o(

Ilkka