I've been trying to find a way to obtain a cheap Nikon portrait lens. I
had an idea - I own a Quantaray 2X converter. I would like to buy a good
Nikon 50mm f1.7 (?) lens, and use the converter to obtain a focal length
appropriate for portraiture (100mm). How would the cheapo converter
affect the speed of the nice Nikon 50mm? I'm sure it wouldn't be a 1.7
anymore, but would it be acceptable? Are there any other things anyone
can think of that may be affected? I checked the info that came with the
converter, and couldn't find anything about how many stops are lost due
to its use. Thanks for any suggestions and help with this!

Brian