> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:53:47 -0600
> From: Ed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: nikon-digest V4 #257 [v04.n259/8]

> >Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 07:58:12 PST
> >From: "Steve Higgins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: New Nikkor Lenses [v04.n257/7]

> >I found out something surprising when I was filling out the warrantee
> >card on my new 28-105.  The serial number starts with a "US".  I think
> >Nikon USA is going to start cracking down on Gray Market items.
>
> My F100  brochure (US) states Nikon US will not repair any product in or
> out  of warranty if it is not an officially imported  Nikon product. See
> back page of brochure.

Yeah, I saw that too. I think Nikon USA is fighting a losing battle.
There simply will be an industry to repair grey Nikon products. I think
Nikon USA farms out some repairs to independent camera repair shops
anyway. They aren't the only game in town, neither in importing Nikon
products nor in repair.

In certain products, there price difference between Nikon USA warranty
items and the equivalent grey items is simply too big. Nikon USA has
to find a way to be more competitive. Meanwhile, they need to pay for
advertising, sponsor events, etc. while someone else reaps the benefits.

> Mr Ed
>
> MR ED Is a Horse of Course

I thought that was a type of glass used in long telephotos. :-)

-- Shun Cheung                [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 (732) 615-5135
      Kenya Photo Safari -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/kenya.html
          Antarctica -- http://photo.net/photo/nature/antarctica.html