> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:15:31 +0100
> From: Marc Femenia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Nikkor 50mm f:1.4 [v04.n257/8]
> Message: 8
>
        > I assume that optically there is no difference
        > between the AI and the AIS model.

        I don't know whether there is or not.

        > My worry is how can I distinguish a 50mm AI
        > from a 50mm non-AI (to distinguish AIS is
        > quite easy).

        The minimum aperture is orange on the AI-S, all
        of the aperture numbers are white on the AI.
        There's also a semi-circular cutout on the AI-S
        lens mount just above the notch for the camera's
        locking pin.

        > Another question is about an old 35-70 f3.5
        > zoom I have. This zoom is AI, and it has 72mm
        > of filter diameter.  . . . .  Has anyone any
        > experience or knowledge about my lens??

        Yeah, I shot with one of those for years.
        It's a decent lens: nice and sharp with very
        little distortion, but it flares badly.  I got
        some really good black-and-white pictures with
        it using an dark yellow or light orange filter,
        but color images were always a bit disappointing.
        The lens just didn't have enough contrast for my
        taste.

        -Don