>Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:17:00 -0800 (PST)
>From: Robert Nicholson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: F5 rewinding confusion [v04.n260/3]
>Message: 3
>
>I just tried to rewind film in my F5 and what I read in the manual isn't
>consistent with my experience.
>
>1. For me to rewind film I had to _hold_ the rewind button (1) down whilst
>depressing (2) with the lever up. When I released button (1) it stops
>rewinding.
>
>the manual gave me the impression that all I needed to do was press and
>release (1) and then flip the lever up and it would begin rewinding. This
>is not consistent with what I observed.

>Also, to manually rewind with the crank I also had to keep (1) depressed
>whilst turning the crank. This is also not what the manual suggested.
>
>So, who is right and why would my experience be different than the
>manual?
>
>Also, anybody know if Phototronics in Seattle/Bellevue can program F5's
>to leave the leader out?

Robert,

You may not be depressing the button in completely. This has happened to
me on occasion if I did not press the #1 button in completely. Double
check that and see if that would remedy it. It should allow you to keep
all hands off the camera while it is rewinding so that you could continue
shooting with a second camera. This is the way it is supposed to normally
operate.

If it doesn't behave that way I would have it checked by Nikon Service.

BTW, Nikon has not authorized anyone else to service F5 cameras as they
have not sold any independent service stations parts, software, or
computer connections. Give them a call at 1-800 Nikon SV to see how long
it takes to get the leader out modification done.

Ed